Plant based foods simply refers to foods derived from plant sources such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, etc.
When it comes to improving and maintaining health, plant based foods rather than animal based foods is highly preferred and should become top priority.
This is because plant based foods possess some wonderful qualities that greatly promotes and supports health and vitality.
These Wonderful qualities were put there and endorsed by God, the All knowing Creator of the whole universe as seen in Genesis chapter 1 verse 29.
Then God said, I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.
Wow did you see that? You can find seeds and fruits up there, all plant based. So as we have seen plant based food has been the original plan.
So let’s look at some qualities of plant based foods side by side with animal based foods.
PLANT BASED FOODS VS ANIMAL BASED FOODS
plant based food consist of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, whole grains, oils e.t.c while animal based foods consist of meat, diary products, fish etc.
Plant based foods are associated with low saturated fat content while animal based foods are high in saturated fats
Plant based foods are rich in fibre which helps one to stay full for a longer time. While Animal based foods have low fibre content making one eat crave and eat more food.
Plant based foods have high water content while the water content in animal based foods is low.
Now let us look at what we could gain if we subscribed to more of plant based foods and less of animal based foods.
BENEFITS OF PLANT BASED FOOD
- Plant based foods boosts and supports the immune system which is like a gateway to the entire body system. A strong immune system minimizes invasion of diseases and infections.
- Plant based foods are known to lower Cholesterol because of its low saturated fat content thereby lowering the risk of coronary heart diseases.
- Due to their high fibre content, Plant based foods helps in managing type 2 diabetes as it prevents a rise in blood sugar. They also regulate bowel movement.
- Plant based foods help to attain and then maintain a healthy body weight and a BMI that is within normal range which supports health and vitality repelling disorders. This is due to high fibre and water content.
- Adopting a plant based eating style helps to lower the risk of cancer.
- Adopting a plant based eating style promotes a longer and healthy life void of diseases.
Plant based eating entails building your diet around food from plant sources rather than staying away from animal food sources entirely. Animal based foods are also important but are required in smaller quantities if you must stay healthy.
Plant based eating should go beyond mere dieting to a lifestyle approach. Two approaches you would need to adopt are:
- Take meat as a top up or garnish rather than as the main meal.
- Regard plant based foods especially fruits and vegetables as the main meal rather than a mere garnish or add on. In other words build your diet around fruits, vegetables, whole grains etc.
Eating plant based foods will save you from the stress of dieting, balancing calories and becoming worse than how you started out.
Those new approaches I listed above should register first in your mind and let the change start from your mind(inside) to your body (outside). This is the only way you can successfully adopt it as a lifestyle rather than a one for all time thing.
Also you don’t need a fire brigade approach to this. Take your time and build the right habits or else the end might be worse than the beginning. I really hope you don’t just read but put it to work in your life personally. I trust you! You’ve got this. Cheers to results.